The Lueck Family

Sean, Anjali, Nina, Tate, and Luther

Monday, January 19, 2009

Capturing a moment

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
Martin Luther King, Jr.



Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.
Martin Luther King, Jr.






I have been reading a lot lately. Fiction, non fiction, newspapers, internet blogs, magazines, classics, textbooks, letter correspondence. All very different formats for conveying a message, telling a story, capturing a moment. I have never been a particularly good writer, but I yearn for the ability to clearly express my thoughts in written form, and capture a moment. I use this blog mainly for myself as a way of documenting my children's milestones. They are growing and changing so fast, funny things that they say and do get recognized in the moment but will soon be forgotten. They are no longer babies. They have distinct personalities, likes, dislikes, facial expressions, and habits unique to each of them. I feel an enormous responsibility to provide them with a secure and happy foundation; a safe place to explore, learn, and express themselves. There is so much that I want them to know. It has become very clear to me recently that an understanding of the past allows us to truly experience the present.

I am feeling very happy today. Every year on this day I read and contemplate Dr. King's message, and this year I am filled with enormous hope and pride. Pride that I live and participate in a society that allows for the evolution of ideas, and hope that in the next four years we will translate those ideas into tangible improvement. It isn't enough to want my children to develop honest, responsible, proactive, compassionate, hard working ideals. The real challenge for me is understanding that I must hold those ideals close in every interaction and decision that I make. They learn from example. Even the smallest gesture can have a large impact. We are all individually responsible for being representative of the collective ideals that define our nation.
So Nina and Tate, I have great hopes for you. Whatever you do, do it with integrity. I know that you won't remember this moment in history, but I want you to know how fortunate you are to be living in this great society. Be part of the answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Visitors